Between 18:00 UTC to 20:00 UTC, some customers experienced were not able to retrieve users on fields on Jira Cloud. The root cause was a failure related to a change in the user search that caused backend errors and failed silently to the user. We have deployed a fix to mitigate the issue and have verified that the services have recovered. The conditions that cause the bug have been addressed and we’re actively working on a permanent fix. The issue has been resolved and the service is operating normally.
Posted Sep 24, 2019 - 21:01 UTC
We have identified the root cause of the user search functionality issues and have mitigated the problem. We are now monitoring closely.
Posted Sep 24, 2019 - 20:34 UTC
We are investigating an issue with user searching functionality that is impacting some Jira Cloud customers. We will provide more details within the next hour.